Revertere ad "Verbum compositum".
Ok we have in Latin:
- per+facere=perficere, semper+ternus=sempiternus
- Place or thing + agent
- stem+another stem in genitive
- Maybe a special case but ne+verb
- Maybe just non + any word, or should we count nonnumquam as non numquam? but nefas is definitely not ne fas...
- Adjective+noun frozen form
- again may be a special case, but hoc+die=hodie
- tres+vir=triumvir, septem+mane=septimana
- Then, of course, we need to talk about how you make compounds in other languages. We should probably do that by language family, rather than individual languages. There is a similar manner of concatenate nonal adjectives in germanic languages, like "door mat", etc... --Ioshus (disp) 05:51, 4 Aprilis 2007 (UTC)
- This whole topic is new to me, so I am basically stumbling in the dark. But flipping through the dictionary turned up postprincipium (prep. + noun), paterfamilias (noun + noun in gen. (but listed in OLD under pater) rather like agricultura) patefacio, horripilo (verb + verb), longaevus (adjective + noun, but the compound is an adj.) By the way, 'hebdomas' comes from ἕβδομας.Montivagus 07:12, 4 Aprilis 2007 (UTC)
- I think you're wrong on that one (if you were right, hebdomas would be a portmanteau word!) But no, it parallels the Greek adjective hebdomos = seventh; it is a derived form rather than a compound.
- I'm very glad you've started this article. The question of the part-of-speech of the two words that go into the compound (prep. + noun, noun + noun, etc.) might want to be separated from the question of how they relate to one another (your examples 2 and 3 are relevant to that). Sanskrit grammarians went deep into the issue. I might try a section on it. Andrew Dalby (disputatio) 08:53, 4 Aprilis 2007 (UTC)
- root plus verb
- mavolo < mag- + volo
- root plus noun
- Iuppiter < deus + pater
- noun plus noun in archaic genitive
- paterfamilias < pater + familias
- stem plus -cris
- mediocris < medio- + -cris
+Vide commentarium in Allen & Greenough s.v. "Compound Words," #264–#267. IacobusAmor 10:55, 4 Aprilis 2007 (UTC)